Our 14th annual fundraiser, renamed to better reflect our activities: The Great PUCS Serve-A-Thon, is just weeks away! This exciting adventure of service to our community in which the Lord has so graciously placed us has proven to be our most successful opportunity to raise money for general school support and scholarship.
The purpose of The Great PUCS Serve-A-Thon is twofold:
1). Our students, staff and volunteers willserve the community by picking up litter in Wilkinsburg, thereby preventing it from entering the Nine Mile Run Watershed. As there is less litter in our community (woot! woot!), we are excited about collaborating with local organizations on these service projects:
- The Wilkinsburg Bird Park, at 718 North Avenue – weeding, turning the pollination beds over and decorating and hanging birdhouses.
- Planting the high profile planters at Ferguson playground, the Wilkinsburg Borough Building, the Wilkinsburg Train Station and the Parklet on Wood Street with beautiful spring flowers!
- Removing Invasive species at the watershed at Frick Park making room for native plantings.
- Radcliffe’s Local Color: a longtime neighborhood automotive business, has new ownership and they need 8th Grade muscle for tearing apart many boxes and getting them ready for recycling.
- Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church in Wilkinsburg has a garden lot right next door and it needs some TLC getting ready for spring.
2). We will raise much needed funds for general school support and for our scholarship fund. While the Development Office does this excellently and year-round, this is the only opportunity that we really ALL get to rally behind PUCS and share our vision. This school year, PUCS awarded over $350,000 in financial aid; without it, many of our students could not have attended PUCS.